Here are main reasons for a stiff wheel:
If the wheel is stiff when turning both sides it may indicate:
- Worn pump in the power steering booster system
- Insufficient amount of the fluid in the system
- Loss of mobility of the overload relief valve
- Decreased tension or worn drive belt in the hydraulic pump
- If steering wheel power disappears in the central position or when turning to one side, squealing sound appears when turning the wheel and problematic turn of the wheel back into central position may indicate malfunction of the steering rack or steering mechanism gear unit.
In case if the wheel is stiff and turning quickly when changing its direction, it may indicate the following:
- Air in the system
- Low pump efficiency due to wear
- Decreased tension or wear of the drive belt
- If the problem appeared due to wear of the system, it is advised to change the hydraulic fluid by using corresponding XADO fluids. After this procedure it as advisable to conduct the treatment of the system by using one of the following products:
- In case of decreased amount of fluid level, it needs to be filled up. You need to eliminate the source of the leakage.
- In case of decreased tension in the drive belt, it is recommended to figure out the reason first. If it is caused by wear, the belt should be replaced, and if this is an improper tension, it should be adjusted. In order to keep the belts in good condition it is advised to use Verylube Belt Reconditioners.
- If there are any faults of the steering rack or steering mechanism, they should be replaced. It is recommended to treat the steering wheel system in diesel trucks with XADO AMC Maximum Diesel Truck for power steering booster at least once in 30 – 40 000 miles.
- In case of air occurrence in the system, it is better to seek professional help to fix the problem and eliminate air leakage.
Revitalizant EX120 for power steering booster is created to prevent wear and restore hydraulic equipment in general. It has an increased concentration of the active agent which helps to restore the worn surfaces and prevent wear by creating a protective metal-ceramic coating on the surfaces of the mechanisms.
- Eliminates wear of the pump
- Removes any difficulties with steering
- Increases power steering performance after 30-60 miles of run
- Decreases noise and vibration level of the hydraulic system pump
- Prevents from wear
- Add the content of the product warmed up to the room temperature in the tank
- Turn on the engine, wait 2-4 minutes and turn the steering wheel for 5 minutes
- After about 50 hours of the mechanism operation, revitalization cycle is complete. It is advised to dissolve the product in small amount of used hydraulic fluid before using it. In case of contamination of the fluid it is recommended to change it before treatment.
You will be able to see signs of the beginning of the revitalization cycle by significant improvement in the functioning of the steering mechanism. There will be decreased steering effort, improved precision and decreased noise level after about 60-120 miles of run.